Recipes For Thought

Monday, July 10, 2006

Healthy Food = Bland Food

Ma was recently diagnosed as being mildly diabetic. I was quite worried for her for awhile. Apparently, it had caused her to feel hungry always. Once, she felt so hungry and I could not understand why and she blamed me for causing her to "starve".
This incident is still vivid in my mind and I often felt guilty towards her when I thought about it.

On one hand, I hope she would eat less carbohydrates, so that there would be less conversion to sugar in her body. On the other hand, looking at how hungry she became, I felt helpless. Her doctor had given her some medicine and said that the medicine would make her feel not-so-hungry, but advised her to cut down on sugar, salt and eating outside.

I remembered the times when we enjoyed good and perhaps, not-so-healthy food outside. How Ma enjoy life and food, like me. Not anymore, she has been very disciplined in not eating good food and had opted for bland and tasteless home-cooked meals instead. Does healthy food always = bland food? I have also learnt to cut down on sugar and salt in order to achieve a balance between tasty and healthy home-cooked meals including desserts and cakes.

I hope Ma's diabetics would be under control or better still, recover so that she can continue to enjoy the food that she loves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home